FRLS is a team of volunteer parents, carers and staff, who organise social events throughout the year so that the school community can get to know each other in a more relaxed atmosphere whilst raising funds at the same time.
We hold a variety of events and fundraisers throughout the academic year, recent examples include:
- 2020 School calendars – a photographic competition was held for the students and staff – the winning photos were printed in the school’s first ever calendar.
- Year 7’s social event – led by Year 7 parents, we held a Pool Party for the Year 7 students in February (this also proved a great opportunity for parents to meet!) In the previous year, Year 7 parents organised a Chinese New Year event.
- ‘Run the Claydons’ – a trail-running event in April, with over 300 adults and children (and dogs) running through The Claydon’s Estate, near Winslow. This event is now in its sixth year and is our biggest fundraiser.
- Quiz Nights – a fun night out for the whole family and friends, with some ‘unbeatable’ teams!
We also support a number of RLS school events including the Christmas Production, Sports Day, the Oscars, House Drama and the Year 7 Meet the Tutor BBQ by selling refreshments which is always great fun and another great way to meet other parents!
Every penny raised makes a big impact on the children’s education and learning experiences at the RLS on a daily basis. Departments submit their requests for specific equipment, and we allocate and distribute the funds. Over the couple of years we’ve purchased:
- a full set of headphones for Modern Foreign Languages,
- micro-meters for Biology
- new computers in the Library
- display boards for the Art department
- sports equipment
- Sports Hall lighting
- refurbished the IT suites
- cameras, microphones, a drum set, software
- furniture for the Counselling Room
- mixing desk for Drama
- and every year we contribute £2,000 towards the school minibuses.
As you can imagine the list never ends! With your support, we aim to continue to raise £10,000 – £12,000 every year.
We are a very approachable and friendly bunch and we would love to hear from you:
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook – ‘Friends of the Royal Latin School’
- We also set up WhatsApp groups for each year, as a ‘parent to parent’ space to exchange information or advice and find that missing jumper! Please note these are NOT groups run by the school. If you would like to join please email us. Please ALWAYS contact the school if you need to find out specific information.
Joining FRLS is a great way of making friends, helping the school and our children by raising much needed funds. There are different ways you can stay in touch or lend a hand:
- FRLS Committee – our meetings are monthly, anyone can attend (dates are advertised on social media/school website/school weekly newsletter). We’d love to hear your ideas for new social events/fund-raisers, have your expertise and help – big or small. We need hands and heads to make things happen!
- Mailing List – Stay in touch and keep up-to-date with what’s going on by joining our mailing list via Mailchimp: www.royallatin.org/friends-of-rls
- Occasional Helpers Group – As many of us are time-starved, if you can lend a hand for a few hours on an ad-hoc basis, please join our ‘Occasional Helpers Group’ – we would appreciate it enormously – visit Mailchimp: www.royallatin.org/friends-of-rls to join up.
If you are looking for school uniform FRLS have set up a page on Facebook for parents to sell unwanted uniform, sports gear, etc. Find us on: ‘The Royal Latin – Secondhand Buy & Sell’.
Thank you for taking the time to read about FRLS. We look forward to meeting you soon! The FRLS Committee
Building a community…making a difference